Individual Weapons Replacement
Replaces the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) Steyr rifle with a new individual weapon.
Tender process approved to begin.
Project Implementation Business Case is approved.
7 December 2015
Project is approved.
- Lewis Machine & Tools Company Incorporated - delivery of Modular Assault Rifle System – Light (MARS-L), signed December 2015.
- Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight (ACOG) (Trijicon Incorporated USA), signed 18 December 2015.
- Combat Torches (Quality Imports Limited New Zealand), signed 21 December 2015.
- Combat torches have been delivered.
- All Advanced Combat Optical Gunsights (ACOG) have been received and accepted.
- Tranche 1, 2 and 3 weapons have been delivered and accepted. The Factory Acceptance Test for Tranche 4 weapons was completed in June/July 2017, with delivery due October 2017.
- Manufacture and delivery of the replacement weapon racks is underway and will be completed late-2017.
- Simulation requirements have been defined and a proposal is being worked up with the proposed supplier.
- The project is on track to introduce the weapons into service within the required timeframes.
Find out more about the Steyr rifle on the New Zealand Army website(external link).
Contact: Richard Burn, Director Land Domain